Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Corinthians Chapter 5

Here is kind of where this chapter summarizes itself.
I Corinthians 5:9-13
I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater, or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What buisness is it of mine to judge those outside the church? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you.


Discussion?????
So for the discussion this week, I think we need to define for ourselves(meaning I need to find my own definition for these things too) what it means to us to be, sexually immoral, greedy, an idolater, or a slander, a drunkard or a swindler. The bible says we are to hold each other accountable...sometimes that can be really hard.

What is sexually immoral?
  • What kinds of things do we watch on television or movies that might plant sexually immoral thoughts in our minds?
  • How do we talk?
  • If you are married, can you be sexually immoral with your spouse? Define how you can or how you can't.
  • Do you know of anyone who may be having an extra-marital affair that you may not have gone to as a Christian brother or sister?

What is it to be greedy?

  • Is this someone who hoards money or things or time or attention?

What is an idolater?

  • Is this simply putting things in the way of our worship to God? What exactly is an idolater?

What is a slanderer?

  • Is this someone who slanders God or other people or both?
  • Could this be as easy as being one who constantly gossips?

What is a drunkard?

  • Is this simply someone who lives a lifestyle addicted to substance?
  • How much is too much?

What is a swindler?

  • Is this someone who tricks you out of money or time or uses other people to their own advantages?

All of these things I need to double check myself and first ask, am I guilty of these things...and then I need to know where the line is drawn that I might need to pray with someone who is struggling in these areas....So people..this one is a little more intense...you have to go "there" a little, but where do you draw your spiritual/ moral lines here?? Thoughts? Thoughts? Please share.

CB

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Not ignoring...just still thinking...n

Anonymous said...

Wow, a lot to ponder. But, I just viewed a clip on the internet of an interview with Joe Beam. When I read the question "If you are married, can you be sexually immoral with your spouse? Define how you can or how you can't.", I immediately recalled his interview! I really liked his study and views on sex in marriage. The following excerpt is from his website:

Positive Points
Based on all we've studied in this section, it seems to me that we may infer these basic principles about God's view of sex.
· God intends for sex to be enjoyed by people married to each other-sex isn't just for procreation as with the other animals.
· God endorses our enjoyment of every part of our spouse's body.
· God wants each person in the marriage to conscientiously fulfill his or her mates sexual needs and desires.

Prohibitive Points
Based on our study, I believe that the following limitations must exist for sex to be everything that God intended.
· Sex must only take place in the confines of marriage.
· Sex may never involve:
1. Another person besides your mate.
2. Any animal.
3. Anything that causes harm to either person's body.

Pretty good stuff. Check it out at http://www.joebeam.com/sexandbible.htm

Thanks Carrie!!! I love your blog!!! ~~Sherry M.