Monday, March 24, 2008

Job 15-21 Second Cycle of Speeches

Brief Outline on this Reading:



Second Cycle of Speeches (15:1-21:34)
In this second round of speeches, the three accusers all play variations on a single theme – the present torment and final fate of the wicked. Job’s responses show faint glimpses of hope, which are dashed by the others, so he points out finally that the wicked do not always suffer.
Chapter 15Eliphaz appeals once more to their traditional wisdom: It is the wicked who suffer torment, so Job must be wicked, and his own mouth condemns him automatically when he questions his suffering.
Chapters 16-17 – Job agrees that his affliction is from God, but he is also at a loss as to why. His only hope lies in a heavenly advocate (16:18-21).
Chapter 18Bildad can hardly take it (vv.1-4), so he picks up from Eliphaz by pointing out the terrible fate of the wicked – like Job! – and thus God will not hear him (vv. 5-21).
Chapter 19 – Job complains about his friends (vv. 1-6) and about God’s treating him as an enemy (vv. 7-12) with the result that his alienation is total (vv. 13-20). His plea for help is accompanied by another note of hope (vv. 21-27) before warning his friends (vv. 28-29).
Chapter 20Zophar rejects Job’s note of hope, repeating the refrain about the fate of evildoers.
Chapter 21 – Job now calls into question his counselors’ insistence on God’s speedy retribution of the wicked (vv. 1-6), 34).


Discussion for this week:
1. In Job 16:2-4, after Eliphaz has basically said that Job must be wicked, and that is the reason for his suffering, Job says,
"I have heard many things like these; miserable comforter are you all! Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you that you keep on arguing? I also could speak like you, if you were in my place; I could make fine speeches against you and shake my head at you."
How many times have we as Christians either gotten the same type of advice as Eliphaz has given Job, or we have given it? I am embarrassed to say I know that I am probably guilty of getting that kind of advice, and then maybe giving it as well. I think we often learn to judge others in a pious way when we have been judged in the same way. What constructive purpose does is serve to give others pious speeches about what they have done wrong to deserve what is happening to them? It seems like if we are not the one getting this kind of advice, we tend to be the one giving it. How can we as Christians break this pattern? Please give examples or thoughts on this.
I think I will leave the discussion at that for this week. This really emphasises what we are taking from this passage this week...But please feel free to bring up anything else that really struck you.. Here is a passage that I absolutely love in this reading. It brings back reminders of many times singing the Messiah, but is so beautifully written, Job 19:25-27

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God. I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!"
(An interesting thought, but it seems like Job was pretty sure that death did not bring about the end of his existence...that is pretty reassuring, considering he lived way before Jesus. I think it is pretty much in the New Testament when people start preaching on who should enter heaven and who do not enter heaven, and Revelation talks about the whole judgement....okay, so I guess this can be more discussion..I am so impressed that Job instinctively believed these things.)
Okay, I guess I rambled a little! Please share some comments!
CB





Source: Bret Wells speeches document notes, Hebrew-Greek Keyword Bible,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okey dokey.I hope i have enough time to get my thoughts down. Let me share a story with you. A co-worker of mine recently had her house destroyed by a tornado. This occured 2 weeks ago today. She did not have house insurance so she has lost everything. I mention this because in the process of trying to get donations for her at work..some of the ppl that I work with refuse to give anything because from their standpoint...she deserves what came her way because she didn't have house insurance. It's her loss and she must learn from her mistakes. Alot of ppl here at work have that mentality towards her and that amazes me because if we are to learn anything from the time the Christ was here on earth it s that we help those who are in need. No questions asked...just help. Can you think of a better way to minister to someone? I can't.

Not only that...the passage escapes me right now but in the NT we are not promised an easy going Christian walk...why would it be? If anything we are guaranteed to encounter trials, and persecutions and the whole nine yards. I'm reminded of a lesson I taught my kids at church camp one year. Satan doesn't bother with you if you are already living in darkness...he has you in his grips. The closer we try to mitate Christ and live the Christian life...the harder Satan will try to come at us. Does that make sense?

I would elaborate more..but I gotta get to work.

Elice

Bret Wells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bret Wells said...

Hey Carrie,

Great thoughts!
You're right in noting that the ancient Hebrews did not seem to emphasize the afterlife (though in truth I don't think the NT emphasizes it nearly as much as we do today either...remember "Kingdom of Heaven/Kingdom of God" is not simply a reference to life after death.)

However, though it wasn't emphasized that doesn't mean it wasn't acknowledged. You'll find the phrase, "gathered to his people/fathers" throughout the Pentateuch (Genesis-Deuteronomy) as a reference to what transpires in death. (See: Gen 25:8,17; 35:29; 49:29,33; Num 20:24,26; 27:13; 31:2; Deut 32:50, also Judges 2:10).

This euphemism suggests that the Hebrew people did not believe that death was the end of their existence. (There is a lot more to the study of afterlife in the OT, but I don't want to take up all your time with that here.)

This worship of God and attention to being his people without focusing primarily on (nor denying) the afterlife can have some interesting and (I think) valuable lessons for us today.