Monday, October 6, 2008

According to your faith, it will be done to you...

Matthew 9:27-31

As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!"
When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?"
"Yes, Lord," they replied.
Then he touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith will it be done to you"; and their sight was restored. Jesus warned them sternly, "See that no one knows about this." But they went out and spread the news about him all over that region.


Discussion:
This is a small passage, but I think it holds so much wisdom from Jesus. Such a lesson about faith..."Blind Faith"....no pun intended! It can be looked at literally, because the men were actually void of sight, or figuratively, from a perspective of the men being void of "sight" which could be the wisdom of a correct path or perspective.

  1. How much faith do you have that God will follow through with something when you ask it from him?
  2. How often do we forget to ask, until a task or a problem is already in motion?
  3. In this passage it seems that Jesus was not sure it was time for him for word to "get out" so to speak. Do you feel that there is ever a time to "keep quiet" for awhile about a prayer that has been answered for us? If so, what would kind of situation would that be?

Next weeks reading....

I Samuel Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 vs. 1-11.

Have a great week!

CB

2 comments:

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

I do ask God in faith for things or situations however I find that when I'm simply open and eager to see God work in my or others lives that is where God stretches my faith and surprises me with a much better outcome than I could ever imagine.

The 2nd question is like duh (wake up michelle)!!! I do this alot . . . I don't ask God about a tricky situation until the problem is already in motion. Then vow that I'll go to God 1st next time. I'm getting better but have a long way to go.

3rd Quesion: Is it ever appropriate to keep quiet about an answered prayer? YES, Timing can make your testimony much more impactful. I love to hear answered prayer stories when they fit a larger picture or when the perspective enhances it.

Anonymous said...

It's been awhile since I've posted anything here but when I read the topic for this study...the first thing that came to mind is Mark 5:25-34 which says: "A large crowd followed and pressed around him.And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, "If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed." Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my clothes?"

"You see the people crowding against you," his disciples answered, "and yet you can ask, 'Who touched me?' "

But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."

**** This passage always comes to mind when I think of faith. Here we are tuaght such a great lesson on faith and yet....this woman's name is never mentioned. Yes, many of us think of the faith of Job, or Joseph, or anyone else mentioned numberous times throughtout the bible about their faith and how great it was during times of trials. Yet, for me. Always the first person I think of, is this woman here. The woman who believed that if she just touched Jesus's robe that she would be healed. Whoa....to me these 5-6 verses speak volumes.