Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Daughter, Your faith has healed you....

Luke 8: 40-48

There are two stories of how faith was rewarded in this passage. This week I think we will focus on Luke 8:40-48 Here is a summary if you have not read the passage.

The Woman who had an issue of Blood....
In this story, Jesus was actually on his way to Jarius' house and the crowds were so thick around him that they were almost crushing him. A woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched his cloak. Immediately her bleeding stopped.
"Who touched me?" Jesus asked. Peter told him that all of the people were crowding and pressing against him. But Jesus said, "Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me." Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all of the people she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. then he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you, go in peace."
Discussion:
1. This woman must have had tremendous faith that Jesus would heal her. It is one of the only times where I can remember Jesus not know who he had healed...sort of indirectly happening. Almost not necessarily willed by the humanity of Jesus but by his spiritual conscientiousness and power. Jesus admits that he has felt that power had gone out of him, but wants to know to whom. It made me think of the Holy Spirit and how he pleads for us even when we cannot do it for ourselves. How he intercedes for us. What are your thoughts on this?
2. When the woman admits to the crowd that she had had and issue with bleeding, if they did not know, this must have been a bit embarrassing for her. She was so brave and willing to proclaim what Jesus had done for her. Are we generally this willing to share what has happened in our lives through our faith experiences? It seems like in that time, she would have really been, "putting herself out there for humiliation" as far as how society viewed women. What are your thoughts on this?
Reading for next week:
Luke 8:49-56

2 comments:

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

The holy spirit is a dynamic and mysterious entity to me. So close to me and yet difficult to understand. When we read that the holy spirit intercedes for us and approaches God for us - WOW - that is simply mind blowing. I don't get how it works but I do know that it is great, awsome and a perk because of my faith in God. At times of great difficulty (hurricane Katrina and the sudden death of my Dad) I have gone to God with the intent of prayer but no words could I utter. Just being in God's presense to cry and be in quiet shock is when I believe the Holy Spirit has interceded for me. It is immediately after these moments that amazing things have happened - why? because God has heard the pleadings of the Holy Spirit on my behalf and begun to hem the broken pieces together.

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

The second question is : Are we willing to put ourselves out there (as the woman with blood) and share our faith experiences? During and after Hurricane Katrina when amazing things were happening for Lee and I, I started to write down the micraculous things that happened on our behalf. One may think that they were considences but after seeing the exhaused list it is no doubt it was God working and working so graciouly and generously in our lives. Is it difficult to share these experiences, these blessings? Yes and No. Yes I love to brag about God and wow people with the creative ways that God worked things out for our best interest with exact timing. There is a verse in the bible that talks about bosting in the Lord But I wonder sometimes if I am precieved a little like a bragger and a little conceited when I tell people the amazing stories when I intend to help them expand their faith - give it to God - and watch, wait and see what he'll do in your life. So I am cautious about putting myself out there and sharing my faith experiences. If you have any insight in the differnce btw. boasting in the Lord about your blessings vs. making others feel inadequately blessed please let me know. I struggle with this Pollyanna attitude and how helpful it is to others walk with God.