Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Drawing the Lines with our priorities and other things...

Overview of "The Great Banquet" Luke 14:15-23
Jesus tells this parable and begins by saying, "Blessed is the man who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God."
Summary of this parable:
A man prepared a great banquet and invited many guests. He told his servant to go and tell his guests that everything was ready. All of the guests had excuses about their time...one said he had just bought a field and he needed to go and see it, another said, he had just bought some oxen and needed to go and try them out, another said, he had just gotten married and could not come.
The man who prepared the banquet was angry and told his servant to go into the streets and invite the poor, crippled, blind and lame. The servant did this and there was still room, so they invited the people from the country lanes( which were probably cast offs in that time) The man preparing the banquet said, "I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet."
Ephesians 1:3-14
This passage is a great pair to the parable of the great banquet. It is basically saying that ,"in Christ" as Christians, we are blessed with every spiritual blessing. He chose 'us' ...we are the invited guests....

Discussion

  • In retrospect to the parable of the great banquet, what are the things in your life that are your excuses when it comes to time with God? I can think of many times when I have too much to do to attend Wednesday night church or too busy of a day to open up my bible and study. Does this ever affect you? It is kind of like God keeps inviting us to give us his most lavishing blessings...but I find myself at times to bogged down with my agenda. What does this parable speak to you? Where do you draw your lines here? I think this is a constant and ongoing personal struggle for me.
  • Lets look at the Ephesians passage with the Luke passage. If we represent the guests originally invited to the banquet....can we be, "UN-invited?" The passage in Luke did not say that the people that he, "UN-invited" were adulterers, murders, liars and and horrible people....he simply said, they had other things to do. Again, where do you draw your line here?
  • Do you have any good rules of thumb that you and your family go by? When I was young, my parents did not allow anything to interfere with our Wednesday night church(Unless we were sick). Once I was asked to have a large role in school play in the 4th grade. I had to decline, because the performance was going to be on a Wednesday night....I think that was a little harsh, because God did not say we must always meet mid-week. Looking back, maybe there was a happy medium, like maybe we would have a devotional time when we got home after the play or maybe the night before...but it did send a message that "God's time" was important.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay- so I gotta tell a story hear that partains to this week's discussion. I've been unable to respond to the past weeks discussion because I was off at a chruch camp being a counselor and let me tell you...I knew that by going that I would at least get a spiritual spark you know because you just can't go to camp and not leave with something. I gotta tell you though...I didn't leave with a spark....I left with a torch. One of the coolest things that happened there was after the morning devotional everyday...we were to just sit still..not talk...not move...and just be still. Imagine 100 something people in one room being still. You would think that silence would not occur but let me tell you...you could have heard a pin drop everyday during that time. It's in those quiet times that it really helped us all to focus on the day...or what was on our hearts etc etc....For me, it's hard for me to just stop and have absoulte quiet time...but after last week I gotta tell you...I make time everyday to do just that. "Be still and know that I am God."

I know that may not make sense to some of you who read that and it may just be one of those things where you have to experience it to fully understand the effect that it has. Anywho, I shall write more later...I wish I had the time now but I don't.

Anonymous said...

Okay- so I gotta tell a story hear that partains to this week's discussion. I've been unable to respond to the past weeks discussion because I was off at a chruch camp being a counselor and let me tell you...I knew that by going that I would at least get a spiritual spark you know because you just can't go to camp and not leave with something. I gotta tell you though...I didn't leave with a spark....I left with a torch. One of the coolest things that happened there was after the morning devotional everyday...we were to just sit still..not talk...not move...and just be still. Imagine 100 something people in one room being still. You would think that silence would not occur but let me tell you...you could have heard a pin drop everyday during that time. It's in those quiet times that it really helped us all to focus on the day...or what was on our hearts etc etc....For me, it's hard for me to just stop and have absoulte quiet time...but after last week I gotta tell you...I make time everyday to do just that. "Be still and know that I am God."

I know that may not make sense to some of you who read that and it may just be one of those things where you have to experience it to fully understand the effect that it has. Anywho, I shall write more later...I wish I had the time now but I don't.

Anonymous said...

Okay- so I have a little more time to respond to this week's discussion. The first thing that comes to mind is kinda what Carrie and talked about last time she and Earle came to visit. I know she touched on this a little bit I thought I would expund some here. What I constantly struggle with aren't the "thou shall not's.." if you will. I'm not gonna go murder anyone, or steal anything or anything like that. What I struggle with day in and day out are thouse things that maybe I should do and shouldn't.
Let's take a look at Matthew 25:34-40

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Okay, so we've all read that before...if not we've all read it now. I wonder how many times have I neglected to help someone when I should have?????

Like I said, for me it's the things that I should do and didnt that I think will matter most to each of us in the end. we all know all the bad things that we shouldnt do and sometimes we get so cuaght up in not doing those that we forget that God also teaches us to DO things as well. I hope that makes sense.

I also think we need to remember as well that there is a time and place to do everything. Let me give you an example that i taught my campers last week. How many of you remember when Finding Nemo came out in the movies? Is it a good movie..meaning ok for anyone to see? Yeah

Ok, so we've established that the act of watching that movie is not sinful but what if....Sunday a friend wants you to skip church to go see a matinee??? Is that wrong? Yes,....but wait....we just said that watching the movie isn't wrong..how come all of a sudden it is? I had some confused faces there for a minute because I think they knew I led them into what appeared to be trap..
I think it hit home to them though because they realized that not everything that is sin is the thou shall not....you see they needed to change their mindset and how they viewed things....that's kinda what Carrie and I talked about a couple weeks ago. I hope that all makes sense...sorry to have rambled for so long

Lee, Michelle, Cooper 4 and Allie 3 said...

Elice had some good thoughts! THANKS!!! I also struggle with the "should do's" and make excuses for myself. People and our relationships with them no matter how short are of such importance. I have to really think about how my priorities measure up to what is really life changing - caring for people.