Monday, June 9, 2008

Narrow Gate, Wise Man, and the Rich Young Man

Matthew 7:13-14

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. "

Matthew 7:21-27
"Not everyone who says to me, Lord', Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, 'Lord, did we not go and prophesy in your name, and in your name, drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the streams rose and the winds blew and beat against that house and it fell with a great crash."


Matthew 19:16-end( summary)
The rich young man asks Jesus what good thing he must do to get eternal life. Jesus answers," If you want to enter life, obey the commandments,....Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself."
The rich young man replies, "All these I have kept,..what do I still lack?"
Jesus says, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." The man went away sad, because he had great wealth.
Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
The disciples were astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"
Jesus replies, "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible."

Discussion:

Oh so much to discuss from these small passages!!!!
Okay, if you have anything that you would like to bring to light please do...
1. (From the first reading) Have you found the road that leads to life...or are you unsure that your road could lead to destruction? We have a hope in Christ, and our baptism with him, but what are some ways that are easy for you to get off of that narrow road? What are some of your struggles with staying focused? What do you let distract you?

2. (From the second reading)I was talking to my sister-in-law(Elice) this past weekend and we were discussing this bible study. She made a comment that I really liked, and it actually goes right along with this passage. She said, I think , when the day of judgement come, when it gets right down to it, what the Lord is going to be the most disappointed in are not the things that I should not have done, that I did anyway, necessarily, but the things that I knew I should have done that I did not do." What do you think about this statement...what are the things you should be doing that you are not?

3. Okay people, you know what is coming here, how do you compare yourself to the rich young man, or possibly what is the area, that you are just not willing to "give up" for God's sake? I honestly think that if this man had sold his possessions to the poor and followed Jesus, he would have been blessed more than he could imagine. At our age, in our society, it is hard to steer clear of the want for more wealth and possessions, and to be content with what we have. It can be hard to not be whirled up into wanting nicer clothes, a bigger house, a better car, a membership at the club...and much more. I know I am constantly trying to let go of this and let God have control of this area of my life. Earle and I have many stories of how we have waited and said no and prayed about it, and God has blessed us....but then there have been times when the answer is simply, "no" from God. To be honest, right now, I really want a used mini-van, and I am hoping that the answer is yes! But I know that I don't need it to live! It would just be nice and much roomier! It is hard to live in America and know true need. Is this a struggle for you, or do you have a story to share of how you have been blessed by letting go of your desires for more? Where do you draw the lines with your wants and your needs and your faithfulness with your money and possessions?

Please share your thoughts! Hope everyone is having a great week!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I would like to comment on question #2, about not doing the good we know we ought to do. I struggle with this a lot. My brain sometimes goes 90 to nothing with all of the wonderful things that I should be doing for people...but more often than not, they are things that I simply cannot do. I don't have the money, I really don't have the time, I am simply unable to do it effectively because where I go my kids go, too. When I think about all of the good that I know ought to be done, yet do not do, I sometimes get a bit panicked. Then Bret reminds me that if I really did all of it, I would be neglecting/abusing one or more other parts of my life. Once again, it is a hard line for me to walk, a line that is often hard for me to even find. Bret encourages me to conintue thinking this way, to continue looking for opportunities to serve, and that one day I will be able to do many more of them. Until then, I will continue searching for this ever-changing line and pray that what I do (and what I don't do) is pleasing to God...