Sunday, June 29, 2008

I John Chapter Two

Summary:
This chapter basically discusses how that Jesus Christ is the atoning sacrifice for our sins. Not only for our sins(v. 1-2) but the sins of the whole world. Jesus is our advocate.

A few passages in this chapter stick out to me that tie in with our study.

V. 9-11
Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.

vs. 15-17
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man of God lives forever.

vs. 28-29
And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming. If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him.

Discussion:

Referring to vs. 9-11

  • Is there anyone whom you have not been able to forgive in life? This can be so hard, especially if someone has caused you a great deal of pain? What does the bible say about this? The line is actually quite clear, you must not hate your brother. What does it mean to love your brother?

Referring to vs. 15-17

  • Okay, in these verses, it is obvious what some of these things of the world are. I find it interesting that John makes a point of talking about the fact that boasting about what you have and do come from the world, not from God. Society teaches us to be confident in what our skills are and our success. Contrast how this is different that what God thinks. What grabs your attention in these verses?


Referring to vs. 28-29
  • What does it mean to you to be confident and unashamed before God at His coming? To be honest, I think that no matter what I do, I will be a little ashamed. What are your thoughts on this?

Have a Happy 4th of July!!
CB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok..so i don't have much time but for those of you who read what I write you know something always pops into my head first....what popped in today regarding this week's discussion were the lyrics to a song...and here it is:

Does He still feel the nails
Every time I fail?
Does He hear the crowd cry,
Crucify, again?
Am I causing Him pain?
Then I know I've got to change
I just can't bear the thought
Of hurting Him

It seems that I'm so good
At breaking promises
And I treat His precious grace
So carelessly
But each time He forgives
What if He relives
The agony He felt on that tree?

CHORUS

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord

Do you still feel the nails
Every time I fail?
Have I crucified you, Jesus,
With my sin?
I'm tired of playing games
I really want to change
I never want to hurt You again

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord

be it the lyrics are simple it's a question i ask myself daily....i know I'm far from being perfect and sometimes I wonder if God is up there shaking his head wondering what in the world am I doing??? You know how you get tickled at times when ppl make the same mistakes over and over and you wonder are they ever just gonna learn...yeah...that's what I'm talking about